County's subdivision regulations explained

The Holton City Commissioners were asked recently to modify the city's subdivision zoning regulations to allow for more flexibility and growth in the city.

While the city continues to look at its current regulations, here are the requirements for new subdivisions in the unincorporated areas of the county.

According to regulations provided by the county’s zoning department, subdivision plats need to be designed as lots, streets, planned open spaces or other uses to avoid creating “landlocked spaces.” Whenever possible, developers shall preserve trees, groves, waterways, scenic points, historic sites and other county assets and landmarks.

Land subject to flooding or other hazards will not be allowed to be platted for residential purposes unless all such hazards are properly mitigated through the subdivision planning process, according to the regulations.

New or replacement water supplies and/or sanitary sewer systems have to be designed to minimize or eliminate infiltration of flood waters into the systems and discharges from the systems into flood waters.

Wherever sanitary sewers are to be installed, laterals, mains, submains and treatment facilities must be constructed at the direction of the county commission.

Blocks should not exceed 1,320 feet in length unless topographic conditions justify a variation. In general, blocks shall not be less than 300 feet unless necessary because of existing street patterns. As a general guideline, the maximum depth of lots shall not exceed two-and-a-half times the width.

All streets, alleys and public ways included in any new subdivision must have a surface width of 48 feet for an arterial road, 40 feet for a collector road and 30 feet for local streets, including cul-de-sacs.

Local marginal access streets must have a surface width of 25 feet for a one-way street or 28 feet for a two-way street. Alleys must be 20 feet. Right-of-way requirements for public streets are a minimum of 60-feet.

All paved streets need to be constructed of concrete, asphalt or “asphaltic” concrete. Unpaved rural type roadways may be constructed with gravel or sanded surface. Streets may require cooperative agreements for maintenance.

For a new subdivision or new home in the county, the developer is responsible for the cost of building a new road to the homes. The road must be maintained by the owners for at least one year.

After that year, it is up to the road and bridge supervisors and the commissioners to determine if the county can maintain that road.

Plans and plats of subdivisions must be submitted to the Jackson County Planning Commission for consideration, and then the planning commission will submit its recommendation with the final plat to the county commissioners to take final action.

The county commissioners have 60 days to approve or reject any final subdivision plat. 

The Holton Recorder

109 W. Fourth St.
Holton, KS 66436
Phone: 785-364-3141

Sign Up For Breaking News

Stay informed on our latest news!

Manage my subscriptions

Subscribe to Greer Citizen newsletter feed