Police suspect alcohol poisoning in hotel death
Alcohol poisoning is being suspected as the cause of death for a Valley Falls man who was discovered Thursday morning in a hotel room in Holton, according to Patrol Sgt. Steve Frederick of the Holton Police Department.
Sam Barrow, 43, was found dead by police in a room at the Super 8 Motel in Holton after police were called to the hotel at 8:30 a.m. that day for a welfare check, Frederick said.
“At this point, it doesn’t look suspicious,” Frederick added.
Evidence was found in the room that indicated “large amounts of alcohol” had been consumed, Frederick said. However, police are waiting for an autopsy report on Barrow before making a final statement on the cause of his death.
“Usually, they tell us up to eight weeks on the autopsy report,” Frederick said. “But it’s generally not that long before we get it back.”
An obituary for Barrow appears on Page 5 of today’s Holton Recorder.