HHS journalism students qualify for state
Nineteen Holton High School journalism students qualified in 27 events for the state journalism competition, it was reported.
Students from both 3A and 4A schools were judged together at a regional contest earlier this month by the Kansas Scholastic Press Association.
In the regional contest, students from 81 different schools competed in 19 different categories in 12 classifications organized by geography and school size. KSPA awarded more than 1,400 awards for contest entries.
Holton High School students who received honors included:
* Allison Campbell – honorable mention in copy editing, news writing and advertising.
* Tracer Fox – honorable mention in sports writing and third place in yearbook sports.
* Gabriella Katz – honorable mention in yearbook copy writing and third place in editorial writing.
* Mikaela Mayhew – honorable mention in yearbook copy writing and third place in news page design.
* Abby Boeckman – second place in both feature writing and cutline writing.
* Will Davies – second place in news page design.
* Sarah Lierz – second place in student life photo and fourth place in yearbook layout.
* Carly Raney – fifth place in student life photo and fifth place in sports photography.
* Macy Pruitt – second place in yearbook layout.
* Blake Harris – second place in advertising.
* Emma Reith – first place in photo illustration.
* Samantha Wilson – second place in photo illustration and third place in academic photography.
* Britney Mick – fourth place in infographics.
* Megan Lierz – fifth place in infographics.
* Brooklyn Klahr – first place in academic photography and first place in sports photography.
* Olivia Yingst – first place in headline writing.
* Lauryn Moore – fourth place in headline writing.
* Olivia Mulenga and Annika Bergsten – first place in theme development and graphics.