District Court: February trial dates scheduled for Stanley
By Brian Sanders
Two separate trials have been scheduled for February for a Holton resident accused of sexually abusing a minor at her residence in Hoyt this past July.
On Friday, Jackson County District Court Judge Micheal Ireland, noting a busy court schedule through the end of the year, set the February trial dates for Bradley A. Stanley Sr., 33, on two separate dockets relating to the July incident in Hoyt and another incident that occurred a month later at the Jackson County Detention Center. Stanley is currently being held at the detention center on $50,000 bond in connection with the July incident.
The first of the two trials has been scheduled for Feb. 3, 2015, at which time Stanley will face an aggravated battery charge in connection with the August incident at the detention center. Stanley’s attorney, J. Richard Lake, said he did not anticipate any motions would be filed ahead of the trial, which Ireland estimated would take one day.
Ireland also scheduled a three-day trial to begin on Feb. 18, 2015, on the docket in which Stanley is charged with aggravated sexual battery, aggravated burglary, vehicular burglary and theft in connection to the July incident in Hoyt. Lake said he anticipated filing pretrial motions in this case, and Ireland gave him until Jan. 9, 2015, to do so; motions will be heard on Jan. 23, 2015.
Stanley pleaded not guilty to all five charges after waiving preliminary hearings on both dockets earlier this month in district court. Ireland said at that time that if Stanley is convicted on any of the charges related to each of the two dockets, the sentences may run concurrently with or consecutive to each other.
In the Hoyt incident, which reportedly occurred in July 19, a 16-year-old girl reported being sexually battered by Stanley, and a vehicle belonging to the reported victim had been burglarized. Stanley was arrested July 22 in Holton, charged with aggravated sexual battery, aggravated burglary, vehicular burglary and theft and booked into the detention center.
The separate aggravated battery charge stemmed from an alleged incident that occurred at the detention center on Aug. 12 and involved another inmate, Danny R. Adams of Denison. Adams testified earlier this month that upon returning to his cell after allegedly being assaulted by another inmate, Karl M. Schmidt Jr. of Soldier, Stanley allegedly punched him in the face and hit him several times after he fell to the floor.
At that time, Adams said he received a CAT scan to check for concussion following the incident and required several stitches over his right eye, and Ireland noted that a scar was still present when he asked Adams to show where he reportedly was assaulted. Ireland noted that the scar constituted “probable cause” against Stanley in the attack.